Intertextual Connections


Detail in the wrong places

Just before I left for London, I was asked to review a letter and give my feedback. My conclusion of the letter drafted was that the most points were detailed in the wrong places. During my time in London, I had a great amount of time just to do my own thing, enjoy the things I wanted to explore and everything else. But the thought of the fact that maybe I have also been detailed in the wrong places.

I brought up this idea to some others and we had a chat over it. I have come to realize the strength in my idea.

From a business point of view, if you are an operator of a business. Assume that you are a service provider of photocopying services. What would be first goal of your business? I think it would be survival. How does survival survive itself? Cashflow. Therefore, when you provide service or conduct business, you must collect money. If you have an increasing list of debtors with ever growing amount of debts, then why are you doing the business? It doesn't make sense. Why are you investing in areas that should not be done at all in the first place? It serves no purpose, and you become a charitable organization instead. What more when you have the listed procedures and system but do not implement your actions. Once again, for the heavens of me, I don't get it and wouldn't allow such occurence.

I have another example. Since coming back from London, I have been overloaded by church work. To some degree, I have become slightly annoyed by it. There has been so many church activities going on week after week and its starting to take a toll on me. I haven't had the chance to sit down and review my life and goals for the moment. I sat down recently asking myself, why am I running around so much. Who is it for? God or man? How do I know that everything that I'm doing is what God wants me to do.

I guess the failure on my part to say no is my fault. I'm taking a stronger stand from now on. I don't see the point. After all, in Christ we are suppose to take up our cross daily and walk close to him. If I'm running around doing activities and not having the breather to spend time with God or even fellowship with others, then how different am I from a social club that is planning hype up activities?

I made a commitment for BSF this year which I learn a lot from, but haven't had time to sit down and digest the stuff. I'm really reconsidering all my current commitments, and needing to pray more on what is it that God wants me to do. It's not about being selfish but I think there must be clear boundaries. I can't say yes to everything!

My concern is that we don't spend enough time in prayer and to really reflect on whether things are suppose to be happening for its true reason or are we doing things because its the season for it? I take two quotes that I think speak soundly in this entry.

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all. - Peter F. Drucker

How do I come alongside others when I'm spiritually not right with God. How can I focus, really. How can I develop real friendships with others, when every time there is a moment shared is activity based everytime and the moment shared is so brief. What happened to hanging out and catching up over lunch?


Follow effective action with quiet reflection. From the quiet reflection will come even more effective action. - Peter F. Drucker

With this, I reconsider all my options from today. To be in a manner of restful listening to the Lord, and also with my life.


2 Responses to “Detail in the wrong places”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Very necessary and timely thoughts there, bro. I couldn't agree more! God give you his wisdom to discern.  

  2. # Blogger rizumu

    Amen, it's time to be a bamboo!

    sw  

Post a Comment



© 2005-2006 Intertextual Connections | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.